Archive for the Uruguay Category

Venezuela supports Gaddafi’s resistance to air raids [Xinhua]

Posted in Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Hugo Chavez, Libya, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela on April 1, 2011 by Zuo Shou / 左手

MONTEVIDEO, March 30 (Xinhua) — Visiting Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said here Wednesday he supports Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s military resistance to air raids by the international community.

Gaddafi "is doing what he has to do," Chavez said during a joint press conference with Uruguayan President Jose Mujica.

Chavez said he cannot "give answers as to what Gaddafi is doing there, but there is no justification for a group of countries to bomb (Libya)."

The president repeated his proposal to set up a peace commission to mediate between the opposition forces and Gaddafi’s regime as an alternative to military intevention.

"How can we achieve peace with bombs?" Chavez asked.  He said the bombing by the United States and other European countries was motivated by "taking the oil and stealing the reserves."

Chavez met with Mujica earlier on Wednesday to sign a number of agreements on bilateral cooperation and energy.  The trip to Uruguay is part of a regional tour which will also take the Venezuelan president to Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia.

Article link here

Advertisements

“UN Security Council March 17 Meeting to Authorize Bombing of Libya all Smoke and Mirrors”, by Ronda Hauben [Blogs.taz.de]

Posted in Africa, Al Jazeera bias, distortion and lies, Argentina, BBC bias, distortions and lies, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Cuba, Ecuador, France, George W. Bush, Germany, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Libya, Nicaragua, Russia, South Africa, Tony Blair, U.K., UNSC, Uruguay, US imperialism, USA, Venezuela on April 1, 2011 by Zuo Shou / 左手

“…questions raised by the March 17 Security Council meeting include:  Why did veto holding members like Russia and China go along with the resolution by abstaining?  Why did no member vote against the resolution or speak up during the meeting to challenge the inconsistency between the alleged purpose to “protect unarmed civilians” and the actual purpose of the resolution, i.e. to protect the armed insurrection against the Libyan state and provide support for the insurrection by foreign military intervention[?]  To have admitted this discrepancy, however, would have exposed that the resolution is contrary to the obligations under the UN Charter.  Whether they intended it or not, all members of the Security Council who spoke at the meeting on March 17 or who voted or abstained from the vote in support of the resolution, took part in concealing the violation of the [UN C]harter represented by Resolution 1973…” [emphasis mine]

March 30, 2011

Part I

Watching the meeting of the Security Council on the evening of March 17, one could only wonder in disbelief. (1) Here the 15 member states of the Security Council, by a vote of 10 in favor and none opposed, with five abstentions, passed Security Council Resolution 1973.(2) This resolution authorized a foreign military assault on a sovereign nation. The Security Council gave the ok to Western former colonial powers and the US to carry out a military campaign including bombing and missile strikes against another UN member nation. How did the members of the Council justify this authorization of an attack on Libya? The “pretext”, the term used by the Prime Minister of the Russian Federation,Vladimir Putin, 4 days later, was that the aggression was for “the protection of the civilians.”

The source of the disbelief I felt sitting and watching Thursday’s meetings was that not only did Security Council members vote for, or support by their abstentions, the bombing of a UN member nation, but also that those members who spoke, 14 of them, presented a false portrayal of what was happening in Libya as the basis for their support for the resolution.

The false narrative they conjured up was that their military action was for the protection of unarmed civilians who were peacefully protesting for their rights.  What is happening in Libya, however, is an armed insurrection against the government. The insurrection is being led by former Libyan government officials who defected and joined with other opposition forces. The Security Council resolution was crafted to provide foreign military intervention to aid this armed insurrection by attacking the military forces of the Libyan government along with other sites and installations.

Why had the Security Council so falsified the ongoing military assault against Libya?

The statement by the Deputy Ambassador to the UN for India, Manjeev Singh Puri, offered a clue to help unravel this puzzle.

Welcoming the appointment by the UN Secretary General of an envoy to Libya, Deputy Ambassador Puri said, “However, we have not had the benefit of his report or even a report from the Secretariat or his assessment as yet. That would have given us an objective analysis of the situation on the ground….The Council has today adopted a resolution that authorizes far-reaching measures under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, with relatively little credible information on the situation on the ground in Libya….”

A similar criticism of the lack of credible evidence had been raised when the UN General Assembly voted to remove Libya from its seat on the Human Rights Council. (3) There was no impartial report verifying the claims made against the Libyan government by the defectors and the armed opposition sources and biased news media . Instead these same claims were given prominence in Security Council decisions and in the continued reports of much of the English language media like the BBC, English language Aljazeera and other mainstream media news programs.

Continue reading

Former Uruguayan Military Officers Threaten HR Investigator [Prensa Latina]

Posted in Uruguay on February 12, 2011 by Zuo Shou / 左手

Montevideo, Feb 9 (Prensa Latina)

A support group for the so-called Freedom and Harmony Forum, made up of former Uruguayan military officers, published personal information on the Internet about journalist Roger Rodriguez, who is investigating human rights violations during the 1973-1985 dictatorship.

Rodriguez’s personal details appeareded on Facebook, and included a map with the location of his house, his telephone number and ID, as well as insults against him, the local press reported today.

The Peace and Justice Service issued a message saying that retired Lt. Col. Hector Varela "published the map and outlined the area where Roger Rodriguez lives, and included his phone number, an action that threatens his personal integrity."

Varela’s stance "worries those of us who seek justice and truth to be able to consolidate democracy," the document reads.

Rodriguez, whose work has helped clear up crimes committed during the dictatorship, denounced the incident to the Uruguayan Press Association (APU), and has received the support of human rights organizations.

The APU called upon the Interior Ministry to be on the alert, and rejected any attempt to intimidate its members in freely exercising their right to investigate and uncover events.

The Freedom and Harmony Forum issued a letter two weeks ago affirming it would go to the "extremes" against the government decision to jail high-ranking officers involved in crimes against humanity during the dictatorship.

Article link here

Active Uruguayan General Imprisoned for 1974 Murder of Communist [New York Times]

Posted in Anti-communism, Uruguay on November 21, 2010 by Zuo Shou / 左手

November 8, 2010

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) — A general was convicted of murder and sent to prison Monday, becoming the first active member of Uruguay’s military to be jailed for human rights violations committed during the country’s 1973-85 dictatorship.

Gen. Miguel Dalmao was ordered into preventive detention pending appeal of his conviction in the 1974 death of a communist in military custody, a process that will likely take months. If confirmed, the final sentence could be for up to 30 years.

Also imprisoned was Col. Jose Chialanza, who like Dalmao was convicted of “especially aggravated homicide” in the death of Nibia Sabalsagaray, Supreme Court spokesman Raul Oxandabarat told The Associated Press.

Dalmao, who has repeatedly declared his innocence, commands the Uruguayan army’s 4th Division.

Uruguay’s top army general, Jorge Rosales, said last week that he believes Dalmao is innocent. The army made no immediate comment on Monday’s verdict.

Sabalsagaray was found hanged in her cell shortly after being captured. At the time, Chialanza was a battalion commander and Dalmao was a lieutenant in charge of gathering intelligence on suspected subversives. Both men said she hanged herself.

Both the military and leftist guerrillas were granted amnesty for dictatorship-era crimes as democracy was restored, and the amnesties have been repeatedly upheld in voter referendums.

But in October 2009, Uruguay’s Supreme Court declared them unconstitutional, reasoning that only the courts — not the executive branch — can grant amnesty. Each alleged crime must be considered by the courts on a case-by-case basis, the justices said.

Prosecutor Mirtha Guianze and lawyers for Sabalsagaray’s family presented evidence that they said ruled out suicide. On Monday, Judge Rolando Vomero agreed.

A dozen Uruguayan military figures have been prosecuted for crimes against humanity, but all were committed outside Uruguay, particularly in Argentina, where about 150 Uruguayans disappeared.

Former dictator Juan M. Bordaberry also was convicted for his role in the 1973 coup that ushered in military rule. But all other crimes committed inside Uruguay had been protected by amnesties — until now.

Article link: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/11/08/world/americas/AP-LT-Uruguay-Human-Rights.html?_r=17&ref=world

Latin American Countries Condemn Apparent Coup Attempt in Ecuador [Prensa Latina]

Posted in Bolivia, Ecuador, Evo Morales, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Uruguay on October 1, 2010 by Zuo Shou / 左手

Quito, Sep 30 (Prensa Latina)  The Uruguayan government has condemned today the events in Ecuador and the attack to President Rafael Correa.

  Uruguay condemns the occupation of the public buildings by members of the police in Quito and Guayaquil.

The Mexican government expressed his full support to President Correa, to the Ecuadorian democracy and its confidence on the democratic institutions to find a solution to the events that can affect the country’s institutional life.

The Nicaraguan government denounced the coup attempt against President Rafael Correa, who is seen as one of the most popular and well respected democratic leaders in Latin America.

In a communiqué President Daniel Ortega calls all Latin American and Caribbean governments and peoples to join to support Correa and his government.

Peru announced its support to President Rafael Correa after the coup attempt, closed the border with Ecuador and made an international call to support the Ecuadorian President.

Peruvian President Alan Garcia condemned the coup and ordered the closure of the border with Ecuador and the suspension of the bilateral trade until the reestablishment of Correa authority.

[The] Bolivian President rejected the coup attempt against president Correa and made a call to defend his life and the democracy of Latin America.

Morales, at a press conference at Quemados presidential palace, linked the coup in that country with the previous ones, that tried to stop the changes in the region and disorganized progressive governments.

Article link here