Archive for the Shenyang Category

China Exclusive: Crowds flock to Korean War martyrs’ graves [Xinhua]

Posted in China, DPR Korea, Liaoning Province, Shenyang, Sino-Korean Friendship, south Korea, US foreign occupation, US imperialism, USA on April 19, 2014 by Zuo Shou / 左手

By Xinhua writers Lyu Qiuping and Xu Yang

SHENYANG, April 4 (Xinhua) — …swarms of people are visiting a park for Chinese casualties of the Korean War, with the site having received new prominence after the remains of 437 such martyrs were delivered there from the Republic of Korea (ROK) [in late March 2014]…

…Veterans, family members of the martyrs, students, soldiers and locals are among those paying tribute to Chinese who fell in the conflict in Korea more than six decades ago.

The Martyrs’ Park for the Korean War is located in the northeastern city of Shenyang. Following the mass delivery of remains on March 28, it is now the last resting place of more than 500 martyrs.

“Tens of thousands lost their lives at that time in exchange for peace today,” said 65-year-old Wu Jizhang, who comes to the park every year with his octogenarian mother to remember both his father and other martyrs.

His father, Wu Guozhang, served as deputy commander of the No. 39 Army of the Chinese People’s Volunteers (CPVs).

“Although many of their names are unknown, they share a common title: hero,” said Wu.

More than two million CPV soldiers fought to aid the army of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) in the war against the ROK army and U.S.-led UN forces from 1950 to 1953. Some 180,000 of them were killed, with most buried in the DPRK or ROK.

Last year, while on a trip to China, ROK President Park Geun-hye offered to return the remains of 437 CPV soldiers to China.

During a ceremony held at the airport to which the remains were delivered, Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli said the CPVs and their commendable military service had never been forgotten.

“We hold this ceremony to sing the praises of the CPV martyrs. Our deepest thoughts are with them and our highest respect goes to them,” said Zhang.

The Martyrs’ Park for the Korean War is currently preparing tombs and gravestones for the remains, which are expected to be buried there in the second half of 2014, according to Liu Xuyang, director of the park’s management committee.

The park was built in 1951 as a venue where people could gather for commemoration services. Nearly 10,000 people visit the site every Tomb-sweeping Day, and Liu expects the number to increase this year.

He said the return of the remains means more Chinese born in recent decades can feel the cruelty of war and better cherish peace.

Jin Canrong, vice president of the School of International Studies of the Renmin University of China, said the CPVs’ fighting in Korea was actually to safeguard peace and stability in China.

“More than 60 years later, China is still enjoying the ‘dividend of peace’ gained from the war,” Jin said, adding that long-term stability had provided a firm foundation for the country’s industrial and agricultural development.

“Our relatives marched across the border Yalu River to fight for the peace of our homeland,” said Li Haifang, son of a martyr. “They would be very proud if they could learn in heaven of the great changes in China.”

Wu Jizhang called for the park to erect a wall with inscriptions of the names of the CPV martyrs. The fixture would be a suitable tribute and would allow later generations to gather strength for patriotism, he said.

“Their names should be remembered and respected,” Wu added.

Excerpted / edited by Zuo Shou

Full article link: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-04/04/c_133239558.htm

“US-Japanese Militarism and China’s Air-Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) over Disputed Islets. Pretext for Another Pacific War?” by Yoichi Shimatsu [Globalresearch.ca]

Posted in Anti-China propaganda exposure, China, China-bashing, China-US relations, Diaoyu Islands, Encirclement of China, Fascism, Fasle flag, Fukushima nuclear plant, Heilongjiang Province, Japan, Liaoning Province, Nukes, Pentagon, Russia, Shenyang, Taiwan, US foreign occupation, US imperialism, USA, USA 21st Century Cold War on December 21, 2013 by Zuo Shou / 左手

December 7, 2013

The White House refusal to recognize China’s new air-defense identification zone (ADIZ) is a knee-jerk reaction that reveals an astounding ignorance of historical, legal and geopolitical issues in Asia and the Pacific. The US-Japan Security Treaty, as a defense agreement to protect the Japanese homeland against foreign invasion, was never intended for settling boundary conflicts, as in the current cases of the Senkaku-Diaoyu islets dispute with China, the Tokishima-Tokdo tussle with South Korea and the Northern Territories-South Kurile claim against Russia…

…Japan has drawn its own ADIZ, modeling it after the 1945 airspace map drawn up by the U.S. occupation force. The Japanese claim includes not just those barren rocks but also a vast swath of far inside the continental shelf, which is claimed by China and South Korea. In 2011, Beijing and Seoul filed a joint position paper and complaint with the United Nations against Japanese encroachment across the continental shelf…

…More worrisome perhaps from the Chinese historical perspective is the potential for covert sabotage of one of Japan’s own passenger jets. A violent plane crash, blamed on Beijing, could rally international support for invoking the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty to launch a counterstrike against Beijing. Then [sic] notorious precedent for false-flag attacks was set in the 1931 Mukden Incident, when Imperial Army officers bombed the Japanese-owned South Manchurian Railroad (Mantetsu). The clandestine operation provided the pretext for an outright military invasion of northeast China. Soon after the plot was exposed in the world press, Japanese Foreign Minister Yosuke Matsuoka, former head of the Mantetsu, led the 1933 walk-out from League of Nations, which marked the actual start of World War II.

The legacy of the Manchurian covert operation is also a major chapter in the family history of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, whose grandfather Nobusuke Kishi became the finance and economy minister of the puppet state of Manchukuo as a direct beneficiary of that false-flag attack. Inside Manchuria, Kishi sponsored the infamous bioweapons Unit 731, which launched mass-murder attacks on populous cities with bubonic plague and Hanta virus. Simultaneously, Kishi served as wartime head of the Munitions Ministry, which developed an atomic bomb program on Konan (Hungnam Island) in northern Korea and inside Fukushima Prefecture .

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is an unrepentant admirer of his grandfather Kishi, often quoting his forebear on the necessity of nuclear weapons for Japan. The naval standoff around the Senkaku-Diaoyu islets, as a provocation campaign, is connected with the continuing nuclear armaments program centered in Fukushima Prefecture, where the military ran uranium and thorium mines in the late 1930s, under a secret project codenamed BUND-1.

The pall of secrecy is being reinforced by the Liberal Democratic Party, which has just rammed through a state secrets law aimed at suppressing whistleblowers and journalists on grounds of national security in foreign affairs. While the Senkaku-Diaoyu clash serves as a news diversion from the massive radioactive releases from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant, the maritime conflict also serves as a rallying point for Abe’s calls for “nuclear capability”.

The postwar “peace” Constitution, forbidding Japan from war as an instrument of state policy, was drafted with assistance from Americans aiming to prevent a repeat of the wartime horrors. However, a by-now forgotten point that needs reminding is that the United States was a de facto ally of Japanese militarist aggression in Manchuria, where U.S. Army observers and railway engineers with the Harriman-owned Union Pacific Railway were stationed until just before the Pearl Harbor attack…

…The only winner in the islets dispute is the Chinese navy, which by now has overwhelming and unquestioning domestic support for naval modernization and fleet expansion. Tokyo’s confrontational attitude has resurrected painful memories of past atrocities and imperialist arrogance during the two modern wars against China. It is just a matter time before an aging and less agile Japan slips badly, and the Chinese forces move in – hopefully for no more than those tiny outcrops.

The strategic pivot policy promises only costly military spending and humiliating setbacks ahead. Japanese policymakers should accept a world court judgment, if only to prevent future losses of legitimate national territory, which is more vulnerable than any military strategist is ready to admit in public. The long-term interests of Japan and the US are better served by a maritime security treaty and resource partnership with China and Russia, not a self-defeating rivalry against these East Asian powers.

If a strategic retreat is not implemented sooner than later, the Senkaku-Diaoyu dispute could rapidly escalate into the last battle of the Pacific War and the first shots fired in World War III. Diplomacy, as the art of compromise, is needed more than ever to prevent the unthinkable.

Yoichi Shimatsu, a Hong Kong-based journalist, is former editor of the Japan Times Weekly in Tokyo.

Excerpted by Zuo Shou

Full article link: http://www.globalresearch.ca/us-japanese-militarism-and-chinas-air-defense-identification-zone-adiz-over-disputed-islets-pretext-for-another-pacific-war/5360593

Shenyang remembers horrors of 1931 [People’s Daily]

Posted in China, Diaoyu Islands, Japan, Liaoning Province, Shenyang on September 21, 2012 by Zuo Shou / 左手

By Liu Ce and Wu Yong (China Daily)
September 18, 2012

A bell-ringing memorial ceremony to commemorate the start of the Japanese military occupation of Northeast China [took] place in Shenyang, capital of Liaoning province, on Tuesday.

A siren will wail at 9:18 am for three minutes in the Sept 18 Incident Museum that documents the events of 1931 when Japanese forces attacked Chinese troops in Shenyang.

The attack marked the beginning of the Japanese invasion and occupation that lasted 14 years.

In an effort to maintain the public memory of the attack, in 1995 Shenyang authorities started to encourage residents to ring ceremonial bells and honk their horns every Sept 18.

Now, on the city’s main roads, cars draw to a halt and honk their horns to remember the dark day in China’s history.

Last year the government changed the memorial time from 9:18 pm to 9:18 am to make it easier for citizens to take part in the ceremony.

To maintain order, Shenyang public security bureau announced on Sunday that the streets around the museum will be blocked to traffic from 9:00 am to 9:30 am on Tuesday.

Police have also been stationed near the Consulate General of Japan in Shenyang since Monday.

“Because of the intensifying tensions between China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands, we have stepped up patrols to prevent extremist behavior, especially near the consulate,” said a police officer who insisted on anonymity.

[Edited by Zuo Shou]

Article link: http://english.people.com.cn/90882/7951921.html

Chinese unions target Fortune 500 firms over wage talks [People’s Daily]

Posted in China, Labor, Labor strike, Law enforcement, Liaoning Province, Shanghai, Shenyang on August 22, 2012 by Zuo Shou / 左手

By Chen Xin  (China Daily)

August 20, 2012

About 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies operating in China will have collective wage bargaining by the end of 2013, a senior union official said.

Approximately 80 percent of the 4,100 enterprises set up by Fortune 500 companies in China had introduced collective bargaining by the end of 2011, Zhang Jianguo, director of the collective contract department at the All-China Federation of Trade Unions, told China Daily.

Zhang said the target that the federation set in 2011— 95 percent of Fortune 500 companies to have trade unions to carry out collective wage talks by the end of 2013 — could be reached.

"We prioritized boosting wage talks in Fortune 500 companies because those companies play an important role in China’s economic and social development and they set an example for other enterprises," he said.

Zhang said in some places the target had already been accomplished.

For example, all 49 enterprises of Fortune 500 companies set up in Shenyang, Liaoning province, conducted collective wage bargaining.

All Wal-Mart outlets in China have also signed collective wage contracts. The retailer signed its first collective contract with employees in its Shenyang store in 2008. Other Fortune 500 companies, such as McDonald’s, Carrefour and Honda’s auto parts manufacturer in Guangdong, have also introduced collective talks, according to Zhang.

Of the nearly 1,000 enterprises set up by Fortune 500 companies in Shanghai with unions, 81 percent held collective talks and the contracts covered about 322,000 workers. The city plans to lift this up to at least 90 percent by the end of this year, according to the Workers’ Daily.

Noting the benefits from collective bargaining, Zhang said the mechanism will not only help increase pay but will also help enterprises maintain employment and resolve labor disputes.

"Workers in enterprises that hold collective talks will see quicker wage rises than workers in other companies," he said.

Workers with Fortune 500 companies in Shenyang, on average, saw an annual wage rise of 8 percent after collective talks were introduced, according to Zhang.

Around 35 percent of labor disputes in China are wage related, Zhang said.

Collective negotiations provide a platform for both sides to present their case, he said.

"We noticed that strikes in Fortune 500 companies were mostly solved by collective bargaining," he said. "Collective talks are the most effective and the least costly way to address labor disputes."

But obstacles still exist, Zhang said.

China’s Trade Union Law stipulates that a corporate unit with 25 employees or more should set up a union. The primary task of a union is to boost collective contract agreements and to mediate labor relations through negotiation between employees and employers…

Continue reading

Former toilet used as family home – PHOTOS [People’s Daily]

Posted in China, Housing, Liaoning Province, Shenyang on July 12, 2012 by Zuo Shou / 左手

March 20, 2012

Zeng Lingjun plays with his son next to an urinal at his home inside an unused toilet of a hotel in Shenyang, Liaoning province on March 18, 2012. Zeng, who is a shoe repairer, rented the unused toilet of a hotel since 2006 as his home, and made up his family by marrying Wang Zhixia in 2010, local media reported.(Photochinadaily.com.cn/Agencies)

Photo article link here

See related article, “Chinese migrant builds life in "toilet home"” [Xinhua]

Chinese migrant builds life in "toilet home" [Xinhua]

Posted in China, Economy, Employment, Housing, Liaoning Province, Shenyang on July 12, 2012 by Zuo Shou / 左手

SHENYANG, March 27 (Xinhua) — An unused hostel restroom has been home to a poor migrant worker in a sprawling Chinese city for six years.

Zeng Lingjun, now 33, has built a home for his family since moving into the restroom in Shenyang. He has brought in simple furniture, gotten married, and had a baby, who is now 14 months old.

In the space of less than 20 square meters, Zeng placed planks over the squat toilet and uses the planks as a bed, which faces a small television placed on a table between two urinals. He has also hung a clock on the porcelain wall.

On the opposite wall, Zeng has pasted a red paper cut-out of the Chinese character "xi", or happiness — a Chinese tradition to court good luck.

"I am satisfied with what I have now," said Zeng, who came to Shenyang for work 13 years ago with only 50 yuan (8 U.S. dollars) in his pocket. "Life actually is better here than where I used to rough it out."

Zeng has rented the toilet from the hostel near Shenyang’s long-distance bus station for 8,000 yuan a year since 2006. He was also given, for free, a space in front of the hostel where he sits on a stool and polishes shoes for ten yuan a pair.

Zeng brings in about 2,000 yuan a month from the job, nearly double the minimum wage set by the government of Shenyang.

Zeng’s wife, Wang Zhixia, was a migrant worker herself, but chose to become a homemaker since late in her pregnancy.

Zeng told Xinhua that he is so content with life that he named his child "Deyi" — which means satisfying one’s desire.

But living in a toilet is not always as "comfy" as he describes.

Though the restroom has long been deserted, Zeng said he has to flush the toilet frequently to "wash away" the stinky odors that creep down through the pipes from the functional toilet above his home. And long-term exposure to the humid atmosphere has left his child with eczema.

Zeng said he wants to find a better paying job and move his family into a proper home. But earning extra money is not easy, as he still has to wire money home to his aging parents in the countryside and the family will soon have to spend money on the child’s education.

Zeng’s struggles caused an online sensation after pictures of his "toilet home" were posted on the Internet. Compassion poured in and aid money was pledged from around the country.

China’s 240 million rural migrant workers in cities and factory towns are crucial for keeping the world’s second-largest economy humming. But many migrant workers live in undesirable conditions, have limited access to health care, education, and social security resources, and they face challenges in holding their families and marriages together.

Continue reading

Newly discovered sleeping palace in Shenyang may belong to Nurhachi [People’s Daily]

Posted in China, Liaoning Province, Shenyang on July 6, 2012 by Zuo Shou / 左手
(People’s Daily Online)
July 04, 2012

Archaeological workers from Shenyang Institute of Cultural Relics conduct excavation at the site of a sleeping palace supposed to belonging to Nurhachi in downtown Shenyang, capital city of northeast China’s Liaoning Province on July 2, 2012. (Xinhua/Zhang Wenkui)

Edited and translated by Ye Xin, People’s Daily Online

Recently, a cultural relics [sic] dating back to the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) was found in downtown Shenyang, capital city of northeast China’s Liaoning Province.

Judging from the building materials, it should belong to a prince.  The experts estimated that the relics may be the early sleeping palace of Nurhachi (1559-1626), founder of Later Jin Dynasty (1616-1636), which preceded the Qing Dynasty.

It is said that the relics has been under preliminary excavation.
Nurhachi, the Manchu ruler, laid the foundation of the Qing Dynasty. After his death, Nurhachi was given the title of Qing Taizu when the dynasty was founded, meaning the first emperor of the Qing Dynasty.
He was born in a Manchu slave-owner family in today’s Xinbin County in Liaoning Province in 1559 and died from diseases at the age of 68 in 1626.  His father and grandfather were nobles of a Nuzhen tribe in northern China and served as frontier officials for the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).  Due to his noble birth, Nurhachi from little [sic] age had excelled in martial art.

Full photo article here