DPRK denies link to crashed drone, accuses U.S. of double standards [Xinhua]
PYONGYANG, April 5 (Xinhua) — The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) denies any link to a drone that crashed during its live-fire drill earlier this week, official news agency KCNA reported Saturday.
“An unidentified drone added disgrace to the South,” said an unnamed spokesman with the Korean People’s Army’s strategy department.
“After the unidentified crashed drone incident, the South Korean authorities … made it public that they had also tested a ballistic missile against Pyongyang,” said the spokesman, accusing Seoul of exaggerating Pyongyang’s “normal” and “self-defense” rocket launches.
“On the other hand, it has secretly tested a 500 km ballistic missile on March 23. This is a vivid example of the U.S.’s double standard,” he said. The U.S. should also stop its shameless double standard in criticizing Pyongyang’s countermeasures, the spokesman said.
The Republic of Korea (ROK)’s defense ministry said Friday the country had test-fired an extended range ballistic missile and would develop a longer range missile capable of striking all parts of the DPRK.
A ROK military official alleged a DPRK drone crashed Monday on ROK’s Baengnyeong Island, on the countries’ border, and was believed to have been launched from an airport on DPRK’s west, after the two countries exchanged artillery fire across the sea boundary.
A similar drone was discovered in Paju, south of the demilitarized zone, on March 24, and was found to contain photos of military installations and the residential quarters of Seoul’s presidential compound, according to ROK’s media.